Friday, July 27, 2012

Angel Food Cake + Strawberry Shortcakes

 

Our computer crashed so I was out of service for a few days. Finally, I am up and running again! I didn't think not being able to post on this blog would be such a big deal, but as it turns out, it was. I am finding out that I thoroughly enjoy blogging, whether anyone reads it or not. It's my stress reliever. We ended up having to purchase a brand new laptop, but we needed a new one so it worked out pretty well. 

Wednesday, my brother and I went shopping at a local gourmet food shop. While there I purchased a strawberry champagne finishing sauce for desserts. It looked heavenly in the bottle so I could only imagine what it would taste like. The owner of the store said it was to die for, so I had to have it. I have been wanting to try it, so today I made strawberry shortcakes with  angel food cake. I cheated on this recipe and used a boxed angel food cake mix. Shhhhhh dont tell anyone. I was in a bit of a time crunch but desperate to try this sauce. I could not find fresh strawberries anywhere today, so I had to use frozen ones, but they worked well for this. The angel food cake turned out very fluffy and light, for $1.18 I was pleased. 



The strawberry shortcake was delicious. I ate an entire slice and wanted more, but I decided to stop myself. 
The finishing sauce I bought was everything the shop owner said it would be and more. I could take a bath in that stuff. It's just the right amount of sweet and it enhanced the flavor of the shortcakes. I could have just drizzled the sauce over the angel food cake and left off the strawberries. The cake would have tasted just as good, but I went ahead and added the strawberries and fresh whipped cream. It was the perfect ending to a hot summer afternoon. 


Strawberry Shortcakes

1 box angel food cake mix
1 carton frozen strawberries
Drizzle of strawberry champagne dessert finishing sauce
whipped cream-fresh or store bought

Bake the angel food cake as directed. Cut the cake into slices using a serrated knife. Put a slice or two of cake on a dessert plate, overlapping each slice. Drizzle with the finishing sauce and strawberries. Top with whipped cream and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment