Monday, July 9, 2012

Tropical Fruit Salad


I am a huge fan of the Deen family, particularly Paula Deen. Saturday morning, I watched Jamie Deen's new show on food network, and he made a tropical fruit salad for brunch. I love fresh fruit, especially during the summer. I immediately wanted to make the salad, and was surprised when Allen asked me to  make it for him.  I was ecstatic about him asking me to make a healthy dessert. So we made it. Jamie Deen's recipe uses kiwi, I do not like kiwi, so I substituted it with cantaloupe. We had Sunday dinner yesterday, and the salad was a huge hit. I made extra to bring with me to work for the week. This salad is quick, easy, and healthy. Thank you Jamie Deen!

Tropical Fruit Salad
recipe adapted from Jamie Deen, Food Network

3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/2 cantaloupe peeled and sliced
1 1/2 bananas peeled and sliced on the bias
1 small bunch of green or red grapes
1 mango, peeled and pit removed, chopped
1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut out onto a baking sheet. Toast until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet to a small bowl to cool. Whisk together the honey, mint, lime juice, and zest. Add the cantaloupe, mango, bananas, grapes, and pineapple and toss. Make sure all the fruit is coated with the dressing. Sprinkle with the coconut before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment