Thursday, January 17, 2013

Quick + Easy Lemon Curd



I dont know about you but after all of the heavy desserts from the holidays I needed something light and fresh. My husband has been begging me to make lemon tarts for him. So today he finally got them. Anything citrus is a welcome change. Last year while looking online I found a great lemon curd recipe. I usually make it based on that recipe but today I wanted to try the one featured in the February edition of Southern Living magazine.


Their recipe is a quicker and easier lemon curd. You cook it in the microwave and it has the same amazing flavor. How awesome is that? I love the pale yellow color. It reminds me of Spring. This recipe makes quite a bit so I gave a few jars away to family members. We still have a couple of jars in the fridge but I bet they wont stay in there for long.

Quick and Easy Lemon Curd
recipe from Southern Living magazine

Grate zest from 6 lemons to equal 2 tablespoons. Cut lemons in half ; squeeze juice into a measuring cup to equal 1 cup.

Beat 1/2 cup softened butter and two cups of sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time, beating each just until blended after each addition. Gradually add lemon juice to butter mixture, beating on low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in the zest. Transfer to a microwave safe bowl.

Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring at 1 minute intervals. Microwave for another minute stirring after 30 seconds or until mixture thickens, coats the back of a wooden spoon, and begins to mound slightly when stirred.

Place plastic wrap directly on warm curd to prevent a film from forming. Chill for at least 4 hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment