Thursday, May 16, 2013

Apple Brown Betty

My husband's favorite dessert is apple pie. The whole family loves apple pie, so I made one the other night for dessert. It was gone within three hours. Pretty good, so good that it was gone before I could take a picture for the blog. Well the next day the kids asked for more apple pie. I told them I would make another apple dessert instead. I wanted to use the last few slices of white bread I had so I made apple brown betty. It was delicious. It was rich, yet light at the same time.  If you have never made apple brown betty, you are missing out. It truly is one of the easiest desserts I have ever made. Simple and delicious. You probably already have all of the ingredients to make it. Give it a try and let me know what you think?

Apple Brown Betty

2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
6 slices of white bread, cubed in small pieces
1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp water

Coat a pie plate with butter. Then add 1/3 brown sugar, 1/3 of the apple slices, and a 1/3 of the bread crumbs. Repeat these layers one more time ending with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with the cinnamon. Lay the cubed butter all over the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle dish with the water and a little more brown sugar. Cover and bake for 40 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Remove the cover during the last 5 minutes to brown the top. Be careful not to over brown it. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Either one is delicious! Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment