Monday, March 17, 2014

Mini Strawberry Galettes


 I have been seeing tons of recipes using strawberries all over Pinterest. Damn you Pinterest, damn you!  So I couldn't take it any longer, I caved and decided to make my own strawberry dessert. I didn't have enough time to make pie crust, so I decided to use puff pastry instead.One of my favorite things to use when I am short on time is puff pastry. Such an amazing product, and I always have a couple of boxes in the freezer.  I think the puff pastry might actually taste better than the pie crust. These galettes remind me of a homemade strawberry strudel. Simple and delicious! 

Mini Strawberry Galettes

1 package puff pastry, thawed
8 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup vanilla sugar ( you can also use regular sugar) 
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
Turbinado sugar or coarse vanilla sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry about 1/8 inch in thickness. Cut into 6 squares, about 5 inches each. Arrange the squares on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside. Stir together the strawberries, the 1/2 cup vanilla sugar, corn starch, and salt. Arrange about 1/3 of the mixture in the center of each square. Fold edges over and pinch with fingers to form rounded corners. Brush the edges with the beaten eggs and sprinkle each square with the turbinado sugar. Freeze for 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown or until the fruit is bubbling. Serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment