Friday, March 28, 2014

Tres Leches Mini Cakes



Wednesday night I was fighting a major case of insomnia. I decided I could either toss and turn for another two hours, or do something productive. So I decided to browse the internet (this is productive in my book) . For some reason the Williams- Sonoma website is my go to site to browse at midnight, and often gets me in so much trouble. Anyways, the recipe of the day featured on their blog was  Tres Leches Mini Cakes. Feeling inspired, I knew I had to make them! And the very next morning I did. I made a few changes to the recipe, and they turned out delicious. So easy and so satisfying. So much for cutting out all the sugar in my diet per my dentist. Maybe next week! Also I would like to say a huge thank you to Williams-Sonoma for featuring this recipe on their Instagram account and website! It is a huge compliment for me as someone who has been a long time fan of their work and products. I am truly grateful.

Tres Leches Mini Cakes
adapted from here

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Kahlua dark rum/coffee liquor
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs, fresh or organic if possible at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, organic if possible

For the whipped cream

1 cup cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or butter a standard 12 cup muffin tin. In a large rectangular baking dish, combine the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, heavy cream, Kahlua, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add in the eggs, milk, and teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk to combine. Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it about two-thirds full. Bake until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. About 20 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack.

While the cakes are still hot in the pan, poke holes in each cake with a wooden skewer. Carefully remove each cake from the muffin tin, and place each one in the milk mixture. Spoon the milk generously over each cake. Let the cakes cool completely while in the dish. Transfer the cakes to an airtight container and chill for at least 4 hours. Be sure to occasionally spoon the milk mixture over the cakes. Can be stored up to 3 days.

When ready to serve, let the cakes stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile make the whipped cream. Place the heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar in a chilled bowl of a stand mixer, or in a chilled glass bowl if using a hand mixer. If using a stand mixer, be sure to use the whisk attachment. Beat the cream and sugar on medium speed until the cream will hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.

Put the cakes in individual bowls and serve with the whipped cream over the top. Spoon some of the milk mixture over the top. Would also be great with a side of vanilla ice cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment