Monday, May 14, 2012

Dinner and Dessert







I made something we haven't had for dinner in a long time in my house tonight, spaghetti and meatballs. Spaghetti sauce was one of the very first things I ever learned to make, and haven't bought a jar of store bought sauce since. You can't have spaghetti without meatballs, they go together like peanut butter and jelly. I always cook my meatballs in the oven, they aren't as greasy and you don't have to continually keep an eye on them. I set my timer and move on to something else. I also made my mini molten lava cakes for dessert. You can find my recipe for the molten lava cakes in my post labeled desserts.



Sara's Spaghetti Sauce


1 family size can of crushed tomatoes
2 cans of tomato sauce
oregano
fresh parsley
onion
minced fresh garlic
salt and pepper

Pour about 3 teaspoons of olive oil into a dutch oven or a skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion to the pan, then add about 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic. Once onions become translucent, pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add about 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley and about 2 teaspoons dried oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 15 to 25 minutes.

Saras's Meatballs


1 lb lean ground turkey
1 lb ground chuck
1 egg
1 cup of italian style breadcrumbs (or seasoned croutons finely chopped in food processor)
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
salt and pepper
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together turkey and ground beef in a large glass bowl. Add the egg and combine into meat. Add the bread crumbs, garlic, pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Mix well with hands. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper. Then use an ice cream scoop to make meatballs, this way each meatball is exactly the same size. After all the meat is made into meatballs place the cookie sheets in the oven and cook meatballs for about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Sara,
    Just catching up on all your posts! this looks so good I may have to make it tonight.

    Have a good week!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, I have been trying to catch up on yours as well. Summer is suppose to slow things down, but it is always so busy. I loved your wedding photos! Have a great day!

      Sara

      Delete