Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Childhood Comfort Food : Goulash

Now that the pantry is complete and my kitchen is no longer a disaster, I can get back to making real meals for my family. Kristin continually asked when we would have " real dinner" again while we worked on the remodel last week. I felt horrible. My children aren't your typical kids. They would rather have a fresh homemade meal than eat out. That makes me smile.

Today it was a chilly 42 degrees with rain all day long. The perfect day for comfort food. I had everything I needed to make goulash and I know the kids like it. My mom used to make it for my brother and I when we were kids. I dont make it very often, but it was the right choice for today. Warm, hearty, and comforting. I make it just like my mom did. If you havent ever had goulash, give it a try. The recipe is posted below, but a warning! This recipe makes a lot so there will be leftovers. Goodnight everyone.

Goulash

2.5 lbs ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 box of elbow macaroni noodles, cooked and drained
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 can italian diced tomatoes, undrained
salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder

Cook the ground beef until done. Drain and set aside. In a dutch oven or large pot add about 2 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onions. Cook for about 3 minutes then add the peppers and garlic,  Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the cooked noodles and ground beef. Stir. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir again until well combined. Add in the paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and then bring to a low boil. Turn down and bring to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment