Sunday, August 24, 2014

Cherry Lime Soda



A few weeks ago, when we were experiencing those sweltering 104 degree days, I had the brilliant idea to get out of the house with the girls. So off to Target we went, when you live in a small town, Target is your go to shopping place. My happy place. I avoid Walmart like the plague. Anyways, enough rambling. After our Target trip, we decided a Sonic drink was needed before heading home. The girls and I decided on Cherry Limeades. Before that day, I had never tried one. Right now you are thinking I must have been living under a rock for the last 30 years. One sip and I was hooked. We have made Sonic trips after school ever since. Well the other night, while browsing through a past issue of Southern Living, I found a recipe for cherry soda. I thought I would tweak a few things, and give it a try. The kids and I really enjoyed it. Refreshing for a hot day, and about half the sugar as a Cherry Limeade. Give it a try and see what you think?

Cherry Lime Soda
original recipe from Southern Living

2  12 ounce packages frozen dark, sweet pitted cherries
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for garnish
1/3 cup juice from jarred maraschino cherries
1 bottle club soda

Bring both bags of cherries, both cups of sugar, and 1 cup water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until cherries are tender. Let stand for 30 minutes. Press mixture through a fine wire mesh strainer into a pitcher, using the back of a spoon to squeeze out the juices. Discard pulp. Stir in 1 cup lime juice, and the juice from maraschino cherries. Chill for at least 2 hours. Stir together 4 tablespoons cherry mixture and 1 cup club soda. Serve over ice and garnished with lime.



No comments:

Post a Comment