Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My News



Last Thursday, I received a call from my dermatologist, she called to let me know I have Melanoma. I will be honest, this was a bit shocking for someone who went to the dermatologist just so her husband would quick badgering her to go. I went to a dermatologist for the very first time last Wednesday, and really never expected to have to return for another visit. Boy was I wrong! I walked in and she asked why I was there? I told her it was because my husband thought a mole on my left arm looked odd, and I came to make him happy. She took out her scope and took a peak, then she says " I have to agree with your husband, and the mole is coming off today. " So they removed the mole and sent it off for biopsy. The dermatologist told me she would have results on Monday, but she didnt think it was melanoma. She called me Thursday afternoon with the results and told me it was in fact, malignant melanoma. I was still at work when I received the news, so pretty much everything she told me past the point of melanoma was a complete blur. I am having surgery on June 28th to have this removed, hopefully all of it. I got a copy of my biopsy report from the dermatology office and checked it out for myself. It appears the melanoma was caught rather early, THANK GOD. My growth is in the T1a stage, which apparently is good. I always thought of skin cancer as not that bad, until someone is calling to let you know you have it. Everyone seems to treat skin cancer as no big deal, well for me, it's a very big deal. I am a wife, and a mother of four young children, so in my eyes, I have everything to lose. Getting this diagnosis is most definitely an eye opener, I will never tan in a tanning bed again, or be in the sun without protection. I am only 28 years old, too young to be told I have any kind of cancer. This is a reminder that cancer doesn't discrimate. It doesn't care how old you are, how much money you do or don't have, or that you have a family that you couldn't imagine leaving behind or being without. I do consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. God has blessed me in more ways than I will ever deserve, and for this I am eternally grateful. I will continue to post about this as I know more. God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, So sorry to hear you have to go through this. I have had some weird moles removed that were abnormal and a few members of my family have had melanoma and are okay. I am keeping you in my prayers and hoping it all goes well.

    xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete