Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Our New Orleans Vacation

There really is no place like home. I enjoyed our much needed vacation, but after 11 hours in a car I was extremely excited to see the Oklahoma sign. I was even happier to pull into our driveway and see our 4 dogs greeting us at the fence. The day we arrived in New Orleans  it was pouring rain so we decided to spend the afternoon in Biloxi at the beach. It was very relaxing and the kids had an amazing time there. I managed to talk Allen into doing a little shopping while we were there too.




After an hour at the beach, and an hour of me drooling over the gorgeous beach houses, we headed back to New Orleans to check into our hotel and have some dinner. Our hotel, The Avenue Plaza, had a sky deck with breathtaking views of the city. 


Saturday was spent at the Autobon Aquarium and seeing the sites of the city. I took my first walk down Bourbon Street, and probably my last. I was not a fan,  I am not really into the bar scene. Maybe it would have been different if our kids weren't with us, but I doubt it. 

  

The people there are very kind, and the city is very soulful. It was a humbling experience for me to visit there. We got on the bus to go downtown and our driver couldn't make change for us, so a gentlemen sitting on the bus just gives us his bus pass without asking for anything. We finally got change and gave the man back his ticket, but he was incredibly kind for doing something like that for a complete stranger. Who does that? Apparently, he does. It moved me. I never visited before hurricane Katrina, I wish I had. People say so much has changed there. I noticed there are still spray paint markings on doors in some areas from Katrina. New Orleans is truly a city of hope and generosity of spirit. They have a way of making you feel at home, like you belong there. It was amazing. If you have never been, I strongly urge you to go. 


Sunday, before coming home we ate breakfast at The Irish Horse. The food was incredible and rich in Irish culture. We were able to  meet the chef and owner, Matt Murphy. He will be on Chopped on Sunday, July 31st. I will be watching We indulged ourselves in flavorful cuisine and fresh seafood every night during our stay. Friday evening, I had crab stuffed ravioli and white chocolate bread pudding. I will be making the white chocolate bread pudding soon in my house. Saturday, I ate seared scallops with fingerling potatoes and haricot vert. The meals were to die for. I had to walk 3 miles around the city to burn off those meals, but honest to God, they were worth every mile and every pound. 



Have you been on a trip lately? Where is your favorite spot to vacation? Have a blessed day and thank you for taking the time to read my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment