Monday, March 9, 2015

New Addition: Baby Chicks

Last year around this time we finished our chicken coop, and added seven hens, and one rooster to our family. I had no idea how much I would enjoy having them, and of course, fresh eggs. Well we had baby chicks earlier this winter, but only three of them managed to survive. Then a couple of weeks ago, my husband brought home two Bantams, which I affectionately named Ina and Jeffrey. How cute is that? See what I did there? The two of them were inseparable, until Jeffrey became ill. We gave him several rounds of antibiotics, but he didn't make it. My husband and I decided we weren't going to buy anymore chickens for awhile, then it all changed. Two weeks ago after being snowed in all weekend, the kids and I desperately needed to get out of the house so we agreed to go with my husband to Tractor Supply, and with Easter coming up, they had lots of baby chickens and ducks for sale. The kids and I managed to persuade my husband to bring home six new baby chicks. Aren't they sweet? The four pictured above are the only ones that would cooperate with me for a little impromptu photo session. I thought the basket and grass were perfect with spring and Easter coming up. Our newest additions make a total of 15 chickens and a rooster. We might as well start our own chicken farm, and I better start figuring out what to do with all those eggs? Maybe a roadside stand this summer?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment