Thursday, June 7, 2012

All American Summer


Many of us are counting down the days for Summer to officially arrive, but for some it feels like Summer has already begun. I live in the south , so the summer season greeted us in April. Yesterday, I read the July edition of Martha Stewart Living, which made me think of what summer means to me.For me, it is about family, vacations, and outdoor parties. I automatically think of children running through sprinklers and fireworks lighting up the night sky.


For many, Summer is the one time of year we retreat to our beach house cottage or that rustic lake house, and spend our days relaxing by the water. It's about lazy days with no agenda, and  warm evenings spent gazing under the stars. One of my fondest memories of summer is catching fireflies on a warm night in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.


It just wouldn't be summer without hot dogs and burgers hot off the grill, or having a clam bake and eating everything right off the table. This year, I plan to host a clam bake. We usually host the traditional barbeque, and most of our meals for the season are cooked on the grill. Everything is fresh, and farmer's markets are plentiful. Ice cream becomes a food group for a short time.




.Nothing says classic american summer like red, white, and blue. I wanted to purchase the flag above from Potterybarn, but it is on backorder, so apparently others have the same idea. I could go on and on, so I better stop myself now.  What does summer mean to you? Are you planning a getaway?

photos from : Martha Stewart Living, Potterybarn, and Southern Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment